Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Haiti, Why are you part of my life?



Haiti is on my radar today. We will leave in less than 24 hours to fly from Atlanta to Miami and then from Miami to Port au Prince. From there, we will drive an hour North to Montrouis. In the last couple legs of that trip, we will come face to face with reality. We will come face to face with children, women, men who have been born, grown up, and will die in poverty. Me, one of the richest people on the face of the earth, will try to relate with some of the poorest people on the face of the earth. How does that happen? Why does that happen?




I can't offer them much of anything. Mostly because I'm selfish. Because I have everything to offer them. I have money, I have clothes, I have a house, I have TWO cars, I have a dog who eats better than some of them, I have food that I throw away, I have medicine, I have a job, I have the luxury of quitting my job to follow Jesus, I have Jesus.



What does this mean for me? I'm not sure. But after that reflection above, I realize I have much to offer. Not that I will give away all my things nor could I, but I can offer them life. All those things I have are things, really. They are. Would I still find life abundant in Jesus without those things? I think I could. I hope I could. That's what I want to be able to offer them. Life. Not a "better" life, in the world's standards, but a BETTER life in Jesus.




A life with hope. A life with joy. A life with purpose.

Lord, you are so good. You satisfy every desire and longing of my heart. You satisfy my hunger and thirst. You satisfy me with things I don't even need. I believe, help my unbelief. Help me to take the next 15 hours to relish in your goodness so that I might share that eternal, forever satisfying goodness with people who really desire the water that will never leave them thirsty again. Let me see with your eyes. Let me love with your love. Let me give with your grace. 


 but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life. (John 4: 14-15)

.Love.
Adrienne  

1 comment:

  1. Praying God amplifies your efforts and impact this week to make His name famous in Haiti.

    ReplyDelete